DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker
Photo Albums at WiddlyTinks.com
Scrapbooking Ideas Photo Tinks by WiddlyTinks.com

Lili-bug

Tuesday, November 03, 2009

I thought I wanted a career, turns out all I wanted was a paycheck

Yep, that about sums it up.
I have a magnet with that saying on it that's followed me on every job for the past few years.
Not the best "go get 'em" adage, but it's me, what can I say?

I started my job at the library yesterday.
My 20 hour a week, 5 four hour days job this week is really 9 hours/5 days a week, which makes for a 45 hour week. Not the best way to start, but hopefully it'll make next week seem like a piece of cake. (and I'm looking forward to my first check)
I'm working 9-6 at the main library branch, training in every single position.
It's busy, which is good because it makes the time go faster. But, holy cow. My last job I barely worked 45 hours a MONTH.

I realized though, that it just really isn't worth it to me.
Sure, the money's nice, but we don't need it. It'll help with Christmas and some projects, but it's just not worth the trade-off. Not to me anyway.
I'm not there when the kids get home from school. Lili has to go to an after school program. Brett has become a latch-key kid.
I'm not there even when Jeff gets home and he's having to make dinner, too.
I come home, eat, spend a few minutes with the kids between homework and showers and all and then we all go to bed.
Yep, living the dream. But think of all the STUFF I can buy. Just not worth it.

I'm definitely resigning by the end of the school year. I can't imagine paying MORE than I'm making a week for someone else to watch my kids.
We'll see.....I might not make it past Christmas.

The job really isn't that bad, it's just that my heart's not in it. If I really wanted a career (or even a job), this would be it. But, that's not me. I'm just in it for the money :)

1 Comments:

At 9:32 AM , Blogger Musings from Kim K. said...

Sounds like you are being completely wise in your decision making. Best wishes. It's a balancing act and most days, I'm faking it.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

get a free web page counter here
website-hit-counters.com