DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker
Photo Albums at WiddlyTinks.com
Scrapbooking Ideas Photo Tinks by WiddlyTinks.com

Lili-bug

Sunday, July 19, 2009

More thoughts on Enshrinement Weekend

Yes, this is THE picture I've been waiting 20 years for.
My picture with Troy Aikman. sigh.......
The guy behind me in line offered to use my camera to take the picture. He must've accidentally hit the timer because he was holding the button down and nothing happened until I grabbed it back to look at it and it went off.
I could've died. Not only was it hideously awkward to stand there smiling like a fool while hundreds of other people waited, but it was just terrible to realize my chance slipped away. I apologized to Troy for taking up his time and slunk off.
For the record, the camera-messer-upper-guy felt TERRIBLE. He kept apologizing. What could I say? (certainly not what I was thinking) :)
I'll live. It's not the worst thing that's ever happened to me.

Speaking of guys in line...
The guy in front of me was probably about 40. He had 2 sons and he turned to me and said that he was so nervous. Hands were sweaty, tongue was tied. He said he had to try to remember that these were people just like him.
The guy behind me, Mr. Professional Photograper, was 30 something and he later asked me why he was so nervous. His hands were sweaty and his heart was pounding.
I thought it was just hilarious.
And what I thought was totally weird was that I didn't feel the same way at all. Generally, I'm pretty high strung when it comes to things like that. Whenever I go to the doctor, my blood pressure is through the roof. New situations always put me in a tizzy and here I was about to meet TROY AIKMAN after years and years of waiting and my hands were still and dry and I was calm and cool. Even when I asked Troy if I could get a picture with him I asked him like I was talking to Joe Blow. I couldn't believe it. I was just completely unfazed. Huh. Still don't get it.

I know some of you are thinking I'm a crazed, obsessed fan.
I very well may be, but I'm here to tell you I'm not the only one.
Not only was I the only one out of dozens I spoke with who traveled less than 500 miles, I was the only one not decked out in full Cowboys/Aikman regalia. (yep, I'd say at least 75% of the people there were there for Aikman)
There was a woman in front of me decked out in all Oklahoma University. Her hat, shirt, socks, bag, earrings, cell phone holder and eyeglass holder, all OU. She has an OU display case in her formal living room (she showed us all pictures), she's written all the former players and coaches and asked them for pictures and autographs. She went to Canton for Troy's Pro Hall of Fame induction. AND! She's a middle school principal and head of special ed. in her district. This trip was her b-day gift from her husband, whom, by the way, she did not bring with her.
So, yeah, while you may think you need to grab the straight jacket for me, you might want to stock up on a few more.

Speaking of chicks who have terrifically understanding husbands...
Jeff has said that this was his anniversary present for me. He took care of the kids while I went on my merry pursuit of another man :)
I did have to tell him that not only did I think Troy wasn't as great in person, but that I was kind of underwhelmed by the whole thing. He asked me if Troy and I 'broke up'. He then proceeded to defend Troy: "he must've been tired", "it must be exhausting and stressful for him". He defended him so well as a matter of fact, that I had to tell him I felt much better and that Troy and I were 'back on'.
Seriously though, Jeff understands this whole 'Troy Aikman thing'.
Love me, love Troy Aikman. Well, at least love the Cowboys.

Of course I got autographs of all the other inductees, 22 in all. It was just an amazing thing to be able to see and meet all these people and come away with pictures and autographs and memorabilia. Just a fantastic experience. An experience of a lifetime for me.

I am soooo ready for football season (especially considering this weather, what is up?)

1 Comments:

At 10:46 PM , Blogger Musings from Kim K. said...

Ok. This is one of my most favorite posts. It's wonderfully written and needs to be published. Jeff earns major brownies points for trying.

Hugs!!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

get a free web page counter here
website-hit-counters.com